Tuesday, April 2, 2013

What is the point of AR?

 I have a hard time understanding the reason why some teachers make students read on the side of everything that we have going on during the school year. When a student has six to eight classes that they have to read in already why make students read more? With homework, sports, clubs, jobs, and tasks that people have to do at home, there is just simply not enough time in the day, unless I want absolutely no time to sleep for the rest of my life.
I don’t know about the rest of the student body, but going to bed around twelve at night and getting up at five, or so, doesn’t cut it. That’s not including AR. Some teachers even wonder why students sleep in class or use Spark Notes. I wonder why?
Moreover, after one finishes the school day they have to go to practice and get yelled at about how they aren’t giving 100%. That definitely tops the cake. With the two hours a week that are considered my free time, I can honestly say I don’t want to sit down and read a book. If some students want to, that’s great. They totally can. But as for me, I still don’t see the logic in AR.

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

Understand, but reading is THE foundational skill. However, are students (like you) are so very busy. Good luck balancing it out.