Thursday, April 4, 2013

Our Angel

This spring break was both one of the hardest and most comforting breaks of my life. As everyone knows, our teammate Heidi passed away the Friday break started and consequently my whole team was grieving together. Friday was a blur, hearing the news over the intercom was heartbreaking because the day before her mom said they were going to have three more days. It's one of those things that seems unreal and you can't even grasp the concept that they will never be there again. I had just talked to her Tuesday and at that point it had felt like I hadn't seen her in years.

But from all this pain, we as a team and a family actually grew closer together. We have always been a close knit team therefore losing one of our captains was devastating; but being together and talking about all of our practices, meets, and team trips made me realize how much all of them mean to me. I don't even think I can describe the feeling really. It was just a comforting experience and though a part of us is missing, we will continue to pull through together.

For the past three years I have spent two hours of practice with her everyday, I have traveled throughout the state competing with her, and I have even had the privelage of working with her and being her co-captain this past year. I still can't fathom that she is gone and we are all running with heavy hearts but our angel is now looking down on us and I am eternally greatful for all Heidi has done for me and my team.

No comments: