Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Snoot & the Humbs

Let me tell you a story of a wondrous kingdom,
Although there were those who called it a nasty, foul slum,
To us it was a land of abounding great beauty,
And those who said otherwise were the snoots, because they were all snooty.

Inside this kingdom was a marvelous sight
Like a rainbow exploded, from left clear to right.
There we were, a divine, peaceful race,
Each boasting a smile upon each kind face.

We'd never had an argument, a fight or a war,
Sometimes we did quarrel, but to life there is more
Than wandering about kicking stones while you grumble.
That is why we were called humbs, because we were quite humble.

One day came along a snoot of great force,
(for following him now we do fully remorse)
Our culture and joy he seemed to devour,
And quick as a snap he came into power.

He spoke of prime colors as if they were holy,
And then he did something, he did it quite slowly.
Maybe we waited just a little too long,
But we certainly, certainly, certainly caught on.

Anyone who was
PINK,
who was ROUGE
who was RUST.
Who was CRIMSON,
MAGENTA,
SANGRIA,
or LUST,
Was sent to a place we know not much of,
Except it's not here, with the ones that they love.

He did this too,
With yellow and with blue,
So no longer was seen
Orange, purple, or green.

We did not like this, not one single bit,
Some of us cried and hollered and caused a great fit,
And those who had said, "No, wait, stop this is wrong!..."
Their sentence was ended, they also were gone.

So we spoke his strange language, his gobboldy-gook,
And we lived in blind fear of our ruler, this crook.
He took more than freedom, but the truth of the word,
The concept of trust was forever unheard.

And we lived in blind fear
Of the one who ruled all,
Though for him we'd cheer,
We awaited his fall.

He made it quite clear of the boundaries between us,
And he made us three seperate races, with great success.
So I, who was red, fought my brothers of blue,
And my sisters of yellow, it's sad, but it's true.

And I watcher as our metropolis, our utopia, our world,
By the words of this snoot, come thoroughly unfurled.
And I wept as I thought all hope is to be lost,
Out the window, harmony tossed.

And then one day, as soon as he had come,
That snoot, that rat, that wretched old scum,
He was no longer here, an answer to our prayer!
Now was the time for extensive repair.

His impact, I am very, very sad to say,
Is much stronger than what can be fixed in a day.
There is still fighting among the races, why? I'm not sure.
I am trying my very best to find the cure.

This all happened some time ago,
And I believe it is time to let our love once again grow.
I am trying my very best to get this country back,
For you see my child, just born, is the faintest shade of lilac.

4 comments:

Brit said...

This feels very Dr. Seuss-ian, as I'm sure you realize. Good work :D

Hannah Vahldick said...

It was an assignment last year to write a Dr. Seuss-esque poem.

Amanda C. said...

I love the energy, ideas, and creativity you have. More people need to read this.

Kacy said...

I really like this. I even read it twice, just in case I missed something... haha. My favorite line is "And I believe it is time to let our love once again grow."