Sunday, January 23, 2011

Exhausted?

A typical conversation:
"Hi! How are you?"
"Good, but tired."
"Me too, I hardly got any sleep last night."

This happens so often. I stumbled across an article that stated sleepiness can come from more than just a lack of sleep. I figured as much, but was surprised at some of the reasons shown. I knew that excessive stress could cause you to be tired, but I was surprised to see that a messy desk, professional outift, monotonous routine, and sleeping in on weekends were also on the list.

I was definitely most surprised that sleeping in could actually make you more tired, because I typically feel more rested after actually catching up on sleep. Maybe I will try that next weekend...

1 comment:

Christian Young said...

Well for the purpose of catching up on sleep...naps, sleeping in, etc. are useless because based on circadian rhythms you don't get any REM sleep during those times. REM sleep is the time of growth and repair for your body. So just make sure that you get to bed on time...that's usually one of the best things you can do for yourself!