Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Just write it out

Tomorrow, my French/Spanish penpal and I are sending each other letters! I met her over the summer (she lives in socal) and instead of communicating 100% on facebook, we have decided to write each other letters the "old school" way-paper and pen.

There's just something fun about receiving snail mail. It is nicer to walk to the mailbox, open it up, and open an envelope to see someone else's handwriting on nice stationery/binder paper. A message just feels more real on paper, I think. Knowing that someone took the time to write out a personal message brightens my day. Just the act of writing a letter is so kind and thoughtful enough.

Maybe I'm just weird for being a big fan of handwritten letters. I love the convenience of texting and e-mail, but sometimes, a letter is the way to go.I know our society is so electronic now, but electronics can't replace everything entirely.

Some people save letters to look at years later. And cards, I won't even go there-let's just say I love artistic and beautiful cards.

So someone in here, in this class, write a letter to a friend on a piece of paper. They don't have to live far away. They could be sitting next to you. I dare you to try it.

3 comments:

Yasmine_B said...

It's said to think that snail mail is a dying art. There's something nostalgic about actually writing a letter, sealing it, putting a cute stamp on it, and sending it to pass between many hands before reaching its destination. I love it :)

Michelle said...

I completely agree!! A Facebook message telling you "you're so nice" doesn't have the same affect as it does if you wrote it out. I think it's the anticipation of receiving something someone took time out of their life to do is what makes the "old-fashion" quite entertaining. :))

Hannah Vahldick said...

I used to have a penpal, but Idk something happened, I don't remember exactly what, but we don't get along much anymore lol anyways, hand-written letters are definitely amazing. I think that texts, e-mail, facebook, or even greeting cards are often a sign of laziness. But not just in one person, in general our generation.