Sunday, January 2, 2011

Resolutions

I really don’t see the point in why people flock to Time Square or Las Vegas to see the ball drop. I guess being able to say “I was in Time Square on New Year’s Eve to see the ball drop,” is reason enough for some people. But the ball dropping really has no effect on me.
The excitement of the New Year does not stem from staying up past midnight, wearing the cool 2011 glasses, or watching the ball drop. The thing I look forward to every New Year is making my New Year Resolution list and of course looking back at my 2010 resolutions to see what I accomplished. Excited for 2010 to end and 2011 to start, I took a peak at my 2010 New Year resolutions. Looking back at it, I couldn’t help but laugh. I had 83 resolutions for 2010 and accomplished only 13…
At first it was upsetting. I felt like I accomplished nothing this year, but looking back at my 2010 New Year’s resolution, I realized how ridiculous I was to make 83 to begin with. Sure I didn’t accomplish all of them, but in January 2010, I had different interests and priorities than I did in February through December. So the truth is that I did accomplish quite a bit this year, but the things I did accomplish were not relevant in January 2010, and therefore were not on my 2010 resolutions list.
My 2011 New Year Resolution only has eight things I want accomplish, each goal being long term projects. Some are important while others are just for fun. Some examples include getting a job, volunteering at Sutter, and finishing the Harry Potter series. I also want to try having monthly goals so I can focus on my priorities that are relevant to a certain month. I love setting goals and I especially love the feeling of crossing something of my “TO-DO List”. So I’m going to take my long-term and short-term goals more seriously this year and hopefully when I look back at 2011, I’ll feel a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

No comments: