Monday, May 20, 2013

Transplantation

I really enjoy the drive down to Berkeley. It's not too long, the scenery varies nicely, the roads are decently maintained, and you never lose touch with civilization. But a lot seems to change from when you get onto I-80 in Rocklin and when you exit in Berkeley. The weather, the politics, the air quality, etc. This is especially true when your purpose in making the journey is to move there.

I've lived in Rocklin roughly as long as I've been able to reliably form long-term memories, which means that in terms of living arrangements and society, suburbia is what I'm familiar with. Obviously, Berkeley is not suburbia.

This will be interesting. I'm going to be living with a randomly assigned roommate in a dormitory surrounded by people I don't know - I have a pretty nice set of upperclassmen friends at Berkeley, but will hardly know any of the freshman there, although the Berkeley Facebook app is remarkably useful in that regard. Still, I feel like I am the equivalent of some peasant in Europe taking a ship to 1800's New York City. Complete transplantation.

As is frequently the case with me, I have no idea what emotions I should be experiencing. This seems like it could be rather exciting, but I'm told that the process can be terrifying. I know that it is going to be a lot of hard work, from classes that are really challenging to extracurricular activities to understanding how dorm laundromats work. I am assured that I will have a lot of fun as well, though, college being college.

Move in day is in 3 months, 5 days. Here I go.

No comments: