Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Last days of school

So we have less than two weeks of school left. So much stuff is crammed into the last days. On Monday alone, I have exams or speeches in every single one of my classes. Oh, and AR. I feel terrible complaining about AR because I have had the whole quarter to read, but I procrastinate. As always. Who doesn't? and really, non fiction.

I hate non-fiction. I get that its pretty much all we read in college, but making us read boring books about Olympians or poor people in Africa seems a bit much. Isn't the whole point of this "forced" reading to make students read more and love doing it? Its not exactly the right track to go on. 10th grade has taught me to hate reading. I look at it with dread. Hopefully, I can use this summer to catch up on my fiction and erase my HATE of forced, non-fiction, reading. I mean, isn't that what textbooks are for?

We read literature in class. Classics like To Kill a Mockingbird. And 1984. Those are famous and say impotent things about society and people and stuff. It promotes discussion and learning. We are not, in fact, picking short and very boring books to power through to get our stupid AR points. I know a straight -A student who got a B first semester because he didn't do AR. He was dumb not to, but still. it SUCKS. And I am done with it.

One of the main reasons I took advanced English with Padilla freshman year was for the no AR. I hope to god that there is no more AR ever, in my life. On a happier note, I ran the last timed mile of my entire life in PE a couple of weeks ago. Yay for doing sports and no PE. Okay thats about it.

No comments: