Sunday, November 28, 2010

Yes, I am sure I want to be a nurse

I cant count how many times I've been asked if I am sure I want to be a nurse. I am absolutely certain that yes, I want to be a nurse (and a medical journalist, as well).This decision has definitely narrowed down my choice of schools, since not every school has a nursing school. Just as I am about to send in my first nursing app, I reflect on my reasons...

1. There's a shortage of nurses. An expected 150,000 in the next 15 years to be exact.
2. Health care is a field that doesn't go away...and won't with the current obesity trends.
3. Flexible schedule, and not bad pay, either.
4. A good mental challenge, especially since each day is not the same.
5. It's a job where I'm on my feet (good for someone like me who can't even sit through a movie)
6. I can work with people face-to-face AND work in a lab. Balance.
7.I can use my linguistics :)
8. I can write for a health journal
9. I can work with babies, children and adults.
10. And the greatest reason of all: helping other people live a higher quality of life.