Sunday, November 28, 2010

Books

I finally managed to secure a copy of Catcher in the Rye yesterday and I started and finished it in a few hours. I wasn't expecting anything exceptional, with my past experience with school literature only a select few novels have been any good. But Catcher was pretty good. I got stuck into it after my soccer game and when I was supposed to be reading Scarlet Letter I caught up with the life of old Holden Caulfield instead.

The pro's = I finished it so I don't have to read it later; it was homework to read half of it by the semesters end; it was a good book.
The con's = I should have been reading Scarlet Letter; I didn't read Scarlet Letter; I might not remember anything about Catcher in the Rye for the test

I have tried multiple times to get stuck into Scarlet Letter but to be honest, it's a dry, slow book. I swear the first 500 pages are describing this Hester lady standing around with a baby and an A on her dress while a whole bunch of people just stare at her all creepily. Then she goes back to jail. I am seriously considering just reading the SparkNotes but I'm sure I'll finish reading the book eventually. It will just take alot of convincing myself and alot of time.

1 comment:

Holly said...

You should read The Color Purple instead. I have it :)