Sunday, November 28, 2010

Last Day of Break

It's the last day of break and I am so sad to see this break go. I truly enjoyed myself everyday of this break. The last week of school I was so incredibly stressed because I was in charge of taking care of my little brother until my Dad got home from a business trip in the Bay Area, so this break was much needed. Friday night, Dad came home and we celebrated by watching my absolute favorite Christmas movie, Elf. :) After a cozy night with the family, the weekend brought in the craziness of the holidays.
On Saturday, I had two friends come over to work on a Spanish project. The girls had never made tamales before so I had them come over so we could all gain our "culture points". It was really nice sharing with my friends a little bit of my Mexican culture and a Riofrio Christmas tradition. Later that day, my best friend and I made cookies as well. With tamales and cookies as gifts, I went and visited my friend who had just come home from the hospital Sunday morning. It made me happy to see him laugh as my Dad handed him a Scooby-Doo blanky because he somehow earned the nickname Scooby on my Dad's baseball team.
That weekend, I also saw the new Harry Potter. I had a lot of fun seeing the new movie theater and sitting in their new comfortable leather chairs, but I have no idea what actually happened in the movie. I had not seen the past six movies, so I was certainly lost. I think I may have actually fallen asleep a couple times. Don't think that it was a bad movie because I am in no way a credible source as far as Harry Potter goes. I just never really got into it. Of course, over the dinner table on Thanksgiving my uncles were raving about how the great the movie was. My dad just had to put me on the spot, telling them that I had seen the movie just days before. Now my uncles were discussing every detail with me although i had probably slept through it all haha.
Black Friday I learned a lot about myself. I did not go out early in the morning but my Dad did. He went to Best Buy and bought my brother a 36-inch flat screen TV, while he returned home with nothing for me. I became jealous of my little brother. I could not believe that the child who was always getting in trouble and often had poor grades had received such a big gift. But I soon realized that I should not be jealous of material things and instead be happy for my brother and know that there are bigger things in life to be grateful for than flat screen TVs.
Yesterday, I attended a beautiful wedding of someone whom i barely knew, but still had a great time. I always enjoy an event in which I dress up. After the wedding, my family headed over to Il Fornaio for a great Italian dinner. This is when I felt that the holiday season had really began, hearing the soft Christmas songs and seeing the glow of Christmas lights above my head as I sat with my family.
Now I am sitting in my room pondering why this break had to come to an end. School is still a day away yet I totally feel the stress of reality again. Tonight I get to write a speech and be prepared to present tomorrow, finish a 540 page AR book, and make a poster for a Spanish project. Yay! See everyone tomorrow! :)

2 comments:

Franchesca said...

Good luck with all your homework!!

Olivia said...

Thanks :) can't wait to see you tomorrow morning :)