Sunday, November 7, 2010

Upcoming Eagle Scout

Tonight I finally started gathering materials for my Eagle Scout Project. I am working with FieldHaven, a non-profit organization based in Lincoln that works with cats. Think of it as an SPCA...just specifically for cats...with a few horses. FieldHaven spays and neuters, adopts, and takes care of the cats that are brought their way. Well...for the domestic cats at least. What about the feral felines that they currently have? Normally in today's society feral felines are euthanized, but they don't want to do that. Thats my queue, and where I come to play. I am building feeding and safety shelters so that they may release these feral felines to an orchard that a volunteer owns. My project will be helping out in a few ways. The cats will keep the rodent population down, will keep other cats away (since they are territorial), and will also get to keep one of their nine lives. The shelters I am building will also be cheap and aesthetically pleasing...so the hope is that other people will follow the trend and can care for their feral cats in a more proper fashion, rather than animal control being called and taking them away. It's just getting started but hopefully it will get moving right along. Right now all I have is a pile of cut plywood, but once they are assembled I will be sure to post an update accompanied with pictures.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Good luck! My brother wants to become an Eagle Scout, but I don't really know what he's going to do for his project.