Monday, November 8, 2010

Choices

Today, I discovered the true meaning of life. It is not something that you achieve easily. It is not something that allows you more freedom. It is not something that is simply there as we grow older.

It is something filled with choices and decisions in our lives. The paths we take and the decisions we make dictate the outcome of our life. If this is so, how do you know if you made the right one?

I was given a choice: to play basketball or to not. Since I was in 2nd grade I have been on the court. But, I held no true passion for it. You know that feeling you get when you do something you love that gives you that rush of adrenaline or the feeling where you are just floating above everything and everyone? That's the passion you have for something you love. I never felt this for basketball.

So, this year, I chose not to play. The first actual decision I made for myself without anybody leaning me to oneside. I made the choice but after I decided upon it, I felt a sense of disappointment from the people around me. I thought I made the right decision. Did I?

For the first time in my life, I did something that I wanted to do, but somehow what I wanted to do was not good enough for the people around me. This leads me to ask: Is it me who is being selfish or is it they that are being selfish?

I replayed this question over and over in my head and I came to a conclusion.

Life, later on is going to have the same hard questions in life that will make choose one thing or another. I will have those who doubt my decision but I have to face up to the disappointment. I will have to look past all the doubts and look into what I believe. I am being selfish with my decided choice, but they are being selfish for feeling a disappointment in me for not fulfilling what THEY want.

The choices we make in life should be for us. Not for the people who we feel obligated to. The true decision to whether to do something or not lies within us and our beliefs. If we make the wrong one, we get up and try again the next day, month, or year. We simply face the adversaties that obstruct our path to greatness and happiness.

1 comment:

Amanda C. said...

You have to do what you love. Kudos for being so mature. Maybe you will find another hobby soon.