Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Technophobia


I have a fear of technology.

Every new commercial for the Iphone 4, Ipad, MacBook, etc gives me chills. Not good chills either. Updating twitter or facebook directly from your phone. Having video conversations with people. All while listening to music, browsing Youtube, reading a book, and fiddling with your newest app. It's incredible. But it's scary.

In 2001, the first generation of ipods came out. Nine years later, look at everything we have. In 5 years we will probably have twice as many new advancements. This just makes me imagine a world run by technology. I imagine the fat people in WALL-E. I don't want to be fat and lazy! I don't want technology to take over my life, or my children's lives, or my children's children. Sure things need to be improved, but I hope people know when enough is enough, because technology can easily be abused. When I imagine the end of the world, I think of some massive, indestructible robot that destroys everything in its path. Is that weird?

All I have right now is a 3 year old phone (that still works just fine!) and an ipod touch with no fancy apps, and I plan to keep it that way. I would like to get skype. That's one new thing that I think I could find useful, but I should probably not invest in anything fancy, since I am kind of technologically inept. Plus, it is sooo expensive! The cell phone plan, buying apps, music, books, AHHHH! NO. It's not for me. At least not right now.

2 comments:

Amanda C. said...

Absolutely agree with you. It's just a matter of knowing moderation-when enough is enough. Too much of a "good thing" is never good.

Yasmine_B said...

This is something that really scares me too. It seems that people today are spending more time absorbed in television and the internet instead of actual reality. I just hope that future generations and their parents will acknowledge this growing problem and stop it before it attains Wall-e status.