Monday, August 19, 2013

Link Day

Today was Freshman Orientation, or Link Day. This was my first year serving as Link Leader and it was such a fun experience. I had to wake super early, and now that it's over I am completely exhausted, but it was definitely worth the time and energy I put in.

My co-leader was my best friend, Holly, and we had a ton of fun getting ready for the day. Since she was in SoCal all weekend, we had to prepare everything the morning before, which meant I had to wake up at 5 -- way, way too early for a girl who's been waking up no earlier than 10 for most days this summer (at least, the days when I was not working).

We arrived at the school around 7, and set up our classroom and supplies. Then, around 8, we opened the doors and the freshmen filed in. They are such a huge class! Rallies are going to be very tightly packed indeed this year. We had a little welcome tunnel where the freshmen could get high fives as they filed in, but most were too nervous/shy to partake.

The rest of the day was a jumble of activities meant to excite the freshmen about being high schoolers, and hopefully introduce to them to new people and potential new friends. My group was extremely high-spirited and energetic, which meant there was nary a dull moment and I was always on my toes. There were seven freshmen boys in my group, and they were quite rambunctious. But I had a blast showing them around and getting to know them despite the terrible, hot, humid weather. They were pretty nice, and it's so weird to think that they'll be the class of 2017 -- it seems so far off! Anyways, I can't wait to do Link next year and I thoroughly enjoyed it this year.

No comments: