Friday, August 9, 2013

Esther

So last Monday my parents and I went to the airport to pick up our foreign exchange student, Esther, from Germany. Well, actually from the Sacramento airport, but you get the point. At first I though it would be really awkward and it was a little bit but now it is cool.

She speaks English pretty well. Its funny, because she messes up the same stuff that I do when I'm in Spanish class. Like the difference between watch, look, and see. And all that.

The weirdest part is trying to explain what a word means. It's actually pretty hard, depending on the circumstance. Or, the difference between two words. How do you explain the difference between "shade" and "shadow"? I try, and end up using even more words that she doesn't understand.

Right now she is actually reading Eragon, because she says that she read the German version already, and she hoped she could understand it better in English. She is actually pretty good at conversationalist English, and says she understands English a lot better than she can speak it.

Well, yeah. Its pretty cool. 


No comments: