Monday, August 19, 2013

Link Day

Today was Freshman Orientation and I was a Link Leader with my friend Jade.  I didn't realize how short I actually was.  Pretty much all the freshman tower over me, or are at least as tall as me (5'2").  It was really disappointing (;  And then this morning, it was cloudy.  So, I figured that it was going to be a nice day, but it was humid and hot as soon as we went outside and started the tour of the campus.  Great timing.

It is crazy to think I was in the same position they were just a few years ago.  I was nervous for high school and extremely shy like most of them were.  Just looking at their faces, I could tell that they were really scared!  I felt so bad, and wanted to make them feel comfortable, so I tried to initiate conversation and make jokes, but most of them just looked at me and smiled like I was a crazy person(I'm pretty sure I did the same thing haha).

We also had to pick themes for our groups.  My group's theme was luau, which we thought was creative.  But then we showed up to Link and I think about five or six other groups had the same theme.  Haha, whoops. Overall, it was a fun day, and I am hoping that I have helped at least one frosh be less nervous for tomorrow.  Happy last day of summer!  

3 comments:

Lydia said...

Link was super fun! I totally know what you mean -- the freshmen guys were all pretty tall, but I suppose it just seemed that way because I'm pretty short. Also, the weather was so terrible and muggy and disgusting!

Taylor said...

Link was great! :) The weather was bad, but all of the kids' spirits kept the weather seeming bright and cheery.

Unknown said...

I remember walking in Freshmen year and being 5 foot and being scared of how tall everyone was.