Friday, August 9, 2013

Grapes of Wrath

So I read Grapes of Wrath for junior honors English summer homework. When I first started out the book, I thought it was pretty boring. Not bad, but just a little slow.

Further on in the book, I really got to like the writing style. I especially loved the chapters where no main characters were involved, but the author just wrote about the scenery and typical occurrences and stuff. And the characters were cool, too. I liked the way they talked, and the way I imagined their accents due to the poor spelling of the words.

But then I got to the end. It sucked. It is not a proper ending, it is more like a pause button. I thought, Okay, what happens next? But there is no next! It just ends! Oh, and also a lot of people died.

Sorry for that little spoiler. But wow.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

I thought that the end was a little confusing, and I had to go back and read it a couple more times before I finally understood. But I agree that the writing style was pretty engaging, and I ended up liking it despite my original thoughts on it.

Shelby B. said...

Mel I totally agree with you. The ending was so weird! And it was like a pause button. Not a proper ending at all.
Also I thought the book was a bore at times, but I did learn it enjoy it.