Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"Don't Think I Don't Think About It"

I've had the song "Don't Think I Don't Think About It" by Darius Rucker stuck in my head for what feels like days now. He sang it at Country in the Park last Saturday (which by the way was amazing) and ever since then I've had it on borderline repeat on my ipod. Though the song is about lost love I think it applies to all of life's losses. The meaning is just so honest and deep, he sings about regrets and "what could've been, should've been, all worked out," but at the same time recognizing that it doesn't matter because it's in the past. Finding that balance between letting go and holding is so delicate, especially at this point in most of our lives. Throughout high school most of us have had friends who have changed, boyfriends who have broke our hearts and most likely even evolving drastically ourselves. Knowing when and how to let go is, in my opinion, one of the hardest challenges we as humans have to make. Sometimes we want things to stay the same so bad that we hold ourselves back trying to remain in a certain state that in reality has already passed us by. The anchor that holds us back is often our own mind and feelings. Remaining static can be deadly and the worst part of it is we don't even realize it's happening until we are left in our own wake of lost hopes.

No comments: