Monday, January 30, 2012

Old Dogs

Saturday I volunteer with this shelter at Petco. They are the people that you see with the adoptable dogs in cages waiting to find a loving home. This weekend, I was handling a dog named Tracey. She is an older pitbull mix who is so sweet. To begin with, there is already a stereotype against pitbulls which greatly reduces her hope of being adopted. I held her on a leash, petted her, and fed her treats for three hours and not once did she bite me. I understand why a lot of people are afraid of this breed because of their history, my mom is too, but I believe that it really does depend on the owner and the dog.

Also at the event, were three adorable puppies, all of which had a little bit of pitbull in them. Because they are still small, cute, and adorable, everbody wanted to play with them and many people inquired about adopting them. Don't get me wrong, of course I want all the dogs in the shelters to find loving homes, I just feel bad for older dogs like Tracey who have a harder time getting adopted because they are not as young and adorable as the puppies.

3 comments:

Amber C said...

This is true but so sad! I admit that I am a bit afraid of these dogs because of the stories I've heard about in the past, but you're right, it really does depend on the dog.

Holly said...

I agree, any dog has the potential to be violent. It's really too bad that pitbulls have developed that reputation.

Mason said...

Yes, it is the sad truth. So many people want the little puppies that they are able to raise their whole lives, and don't really inquire about adopting the older dogs. My aunt has a pitbull/australian shepard mix, and a pit bull/great dane mix. They are very nice, but it seems like we're always very cautious around them, because of the sterotype.