Saturday, January 7, 2012

Board Games

I really enjoy playing board games. Scrabble, Clue, Monopoly, Life, Pictionary, they're all so fun. I think that they were originally designed to provide some casual family fun, but the premise of board games has morphed into a cutthroat battle for Saturday night supremacy. Playing Pictionary and Scrabble with some friends the other day involved arguments of rules, spirited celebrations, and oodles of shenanigans. It was interesting to see how such a trivial game could inspire so much emotion. It seems to be ingrained in human nature to strive to smash the competition no matter the arena.

2 comments:

KainaatB said...

I also find much fun in getting together in big groups to compete in board games. The best type of competition exists between family and friends. It is fun to see how riled up people get about winning the simplest games. In addition to games like Sorry!, Parcheesi, and Mancala, I like card games like rummy, chase the ace, and bluff, which are just as competitive games.

Michelle said...

I honestly believe that it is HUMAN NATURE! We, as beings, want to succeed. We want to thrive and I think even a simple board game can bring out those...desires! It's the inate competitive nature that drives us to get all "riled" up! I know the feeling seeing as how Monopoly is officially banned in our household :)