Monday, January 30, 2012

Ausie Open

Ohkay so many of you may know of my obsession with a certain Serbian tennis player, if not well know you know I'm a huge fan of Novak Djokovic. I've been a fan of Nole for four years now, I'm not one of those bandwagoners. I've enjoyed watching him play from the very beginning and to see how much he has improved and changed the game is just so amazing.
So yesterday was the mens final at the Ausie Open. Number one player Novak Djokovic against the former number one, currently ranked number two Rafael Nadal. This was the 30th time these two would play each other and Nadal was up 16-13, with Djokovic winning the last 6 times. This was such an exciting match. If Rafa won he would be on his way to an 11th major and if Nole won he would have his 5th.
So because the match was in Australia it began at 12:30 am on Sunday Morning. I usually wouldn't have stayed up to watch it but I didn't care, it was the final and I wasn't going to miss this match. So in the first set Rafa started out strong and Nole wasn't in his rhythm. Nadal took first set 7-5. I was getting nervous, because in the past grand slam finals the person who wins the first set usually takes the entire match. As the second set started Nole seemed to get into his rhythm and ended up winning that along with the thrid set. As the fourth set prgressed it looked like Nadal was going to lose, but then he came back and won that set in the tie break. Nole should have won this set. The crowd was going crazy! This was the first time these two have ever gone into the fifth set. At this point I was getting worried... I'm not gonna lie I almost cried. If Nadal won I don't know if I could handle it, I would get so much s*** from the Nadal fans at school. So it was the fifth set and it looked like Nadal was going to win, the score was 4-2. Nole looked like he was in so much pain, you could see the soreness in his entire lower body as he struggled to walk to his bags at the changeover. If Nole didn't win this set it was basically over. Then something happened, Novak came back and won the third game, then the fourth and it was tied. Then Rafa came back and won the fifth game! The crowd was going crazy, Rafa only needed one more game to win the title. Then Nole won the next game and it was 5 all. Then he won the sixth and he was able to pull through and win the 7th. HE WON!!! After he won he ripped off his shirt and went over to his family and coaches and screamed with them. Some people call this cocky, but I didn't think so.
Anyways, this was the best match I had ever watched. It was a record of almost 6 hours, crashing the previous record of under 5. It was definitely worth watching. Hopefully Nole will continue to have a successful year. He only needs one more major at the French Open to have a career grand slam. I predict that Djokovic and Nadal will come face to face at the final there.

2 comments:

Franchesca said...

I think you're slightly obsessed...haha

Amber C said...

haha we all have our own obsessions! ;)