Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What is your motivation

You do a lot of things, but do you ever wonder why you do the things you do? Or are you just chugging along, tackling tasks at they come and never stopping to think, "What am I doing? What is influencing me to do this?"
It's an unsettling thought. Especially if you realize you have no idea what the driving force is behind a lot of your actions.
Of course, there's the generic, "I do what I do because it makes me happy." But that really doesn't work for everything. If I only did the things that make me happy, I'd spend my days napping and watching Arrested Development and napping.
So maybe I do what I do in order to better my future? Well, that doesn't work for a lot of things too. Do I eat tons of ice cream every night in order to better my future? Nope.
So I settled on the answer, "I do what I do because it's what feels right."
I do the things I do to make myself happy, but I also try to better my future. But then I also want to please my parents, as well as the people around me. All while keeping consistent with my character and morals.
Because, after all, your every choice is influenced by who you are, while simultaneously shaping you into who you will be.
"No one else can ever make your choices for you. Your choices are yours alone. They are as much a part of you as every breath you will take, every moment of your life.”

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I sometimes do eat tons of ice cream to better my future holly. But I do agree with your point. You do things because it feels right in the moment. If that tub of ice cream feels "right" in the moment, that eat away my friend.