Monday, March 19, 2012

Lent

Sunday. April 8th. The odds will ever be in my favor. Not because of Hunger Games. Because Lent will finally be over. This is my 3rd year of giving up chocolate. I've gotten pretty used to it, but some people still think that I will crack under pressure when they wave a chocolate cookie in my face. Yes, sometimes it is extremely hard to not steal your cookie. Other times it just makes me want to smack you in the face WITH the cookie.
Lent is a hard thing to do when you, um, "do it correctly"?? I mean, going on Lent doesn't mean that you give up insulting your friend for 40 days or walking to school because you gave up car rides. Lent is about giving up something you absolutely LOVE (coffee, soda, chocolate, etc...). It has to be something meaningful to you or you don't really get the effect of it. People always sound shocked and think I'm crazy when I give up chocolate for lent. (At times, I think I am too). But the whole point was to experience not having something you love for 40 days. Thankfully though, it will soon end and I will be back to eating it.
People ask why I give it up, why I don't just give something else up. Mainly, its because of my nature. I am curious at heart. If I tell myself to not do something, like go on facebook for a couple of days, then I will have that feeling of control over myself; but sometimes I crack under my own pressure (does that make sense) and I give in. Giving up chocolate may be hard for 40 days, but I know that if I do it continuously every year, then I can show myself that I have control over myself- that I can stand up and not give into temptation. Idk why, but it's always hard for me. But each year brings a new outlook and new confidence for myself.
(I realize I just ranted about religion, but it's something that has been on my mind for a long time and thought I should share my opinion.)
Anyways, hope you all have a fantastic Spring Break! I know I will!!

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

It's supposed to be hard... good for you.