Sunday, March 18, 2012

In my backyard...


In my backyard there is grass, shrubbery, flowers, vines, a patio area, patio furniture, and a little bird's nest.
Just yesterday morning my mom discovered a little bird's nest that was no bigger than four inches in diameter right outside our sliding patio door. We were really surprised to find the nest intricately arranged in a potting vase that sits atop our grill. Later that night we found the nest occupied by a tiny egg that looked like one of those candied almonds you see around Easter. The next morning we saw the mother bird, a grey-ish dove, sitting on the egg.
We are a bit obsessed about the bird who decided to build a nest right next to our sliding glass door. For the past few days I have gotten up to see if the mother is still there. When she is sitting on her egg we are banned from using the back door to access the backyard. Instead use the side garage door so as not to startle the bird into not coming back.
After some research I found that the egg will hatch in about two weeks. It has been three days since the egg appeared so only 11 more days to go. What I also found out was that the parents can sense in advance if the egg will hatch or not, so there is also the possibility that the parent might just leave the egg.
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that I get to see a baby dove.

2 comments:

KainaatB said...

I just checked the nest again and found two eggs! I'm a bit too excited about this. :)

RHS Flash said...

That is so cool...