Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Congratulations, Starbucks.

Buying coffee at Starbucks may seem like buying into faceless Big Business. But when I had to stop there this morning, I didn't feel my usual resignation to the convenience offered by corporate America. I was almost proud of giving Starbucks Corporation $1.65 for a tall coffee.
The reason for this is the recent boycott of Starbucks by the misleadingly-named National Organization for Marriage. The NOM claims to "preserve traditional marriage and the faith communities that sustain it", according to its website. Of course, that's just code for "waging war on marriage equality".
So the most recent development in this group's quest against same-sex marriage has pitted it against Starbucks Corporation. This is because in January, Starbucks publicly supported the legislation that made gay marriage legal in Washington State. In response, NOM is encouraging supporters to "Dump Starbucks", and sign a petition against the company.
The Center for American Progress reports that that petition had less than 23,000 signatures as of earlier today. Meanwhile, a counter-petition that's pro-Starbucks and pro-gay marriage has over 290,000. There's some good news.
I didn't consider LGBT rights when I decided to go to Starbucks today. But I feel better about it knowing that I made a very small financial contribution to a good cause other than Starbucks Corporation's bottom line.

2 comments:

Alina said...

yay I went to Starbucks yesterday :) Glad to hear equality is winning

RHS Flash said...

I have been making a point of going to Starbucks more often.