Thursday, September 1, 2011

Grow Up.

I never thought the time would come when I would reach the end of the K-12 spectrum. Childhood has passed so quickly, and now I find myself in my last year of high school, taking four AP classes and leaving campus everyday at 12:15. With seniority there arises a mass consensus among RHS staff, parents, and fellow students that we should lead by example, and the Class of 2012 does not disappoint. I now find myself in charge of a few clubs I was once just a member in, peer teaching a class I was once just a student in, and instructing karate classes I was once just a pupil in. It's strange to see the tables turned, to attempt to share the experience I have amassed in the past few years.

Despite this noticeable increase in responsibility, I still feel like a kid mostly. The prospect of having a Disney movie marathon excites me to no end. I'm dying to watch the new Winnie the Pooh Bear movie. I poke, prod, and bother my cats. Words like 'sardoodledom' make me giggle. Sky Zone is a magical place whose wonder may only be matched by that of Narnia or Hogwarts. Receiving a mini panda Pillowpet and naming it Mochi is likely to be the highlight of my year.

I don't think I ever went through the moody, 'the world is stupid', teenager stage. And honestly, I hope that I never grow out of my hobbies, interests, and quirks. It seems that some of our generation, at least in Rocklin anyway, appreciate the little things in life, which will make for an interesting adult community and workforce in the future. I don't think I'll ever truly grow up, but I'm eager to find out what destiny has in store for me.

1 comment:

KainaatB said...

It is so weird to look at all the fresh, young faces on campus this year knowing that three short years ago you were that kid who was secretly overwhelmed by high school's expectations. Until recently, I hadn't realized that the meaning behind being a senior wasn't just that you got to leave early or that the rush to finish college applications would soon begin but that 3/4ths of the student body looks up to you, the head honcho of sorts, at school. But don't you always hear that just because you take on more adult responsibilities it doesn't mean you have to stop being a kid at heart? I agree that no matter what the future brings, there will always be a part of me that will find comfort in childish whims.