Friday, September 2, 2011

Crisis Averted

After having a tiresome day that consisted of learning that my stock investments in AP Econ were plummeting mercilessly, having the first AP Bio test of the year, getting up in front of the class in AP Stats only to have done the requested homework problem completely wrong, and accepting the consequences for not taking P.E. my sophomore year by spending a class period out in the sun swimming laps, I was in the mood for a big, filling meal. To take my mind off of the horrid day, my mom and I took a trip to Safeway in order to get the ingredients for a dinner that partially got inspiration from Italian cooking with the odd pairing of very un-Italian potato salad. With our hands full of a large loaf of fresh baked bread for bruschetta, garlic bread, pasta, and potato salad, we left the grocery store thinking we had a can of Hunts pasta sauce at home. But we thought wrong. Upon assembling the meal, the absence of pasta sauce that should have topped off my mound of spaghetti finally came to my notice. Thankfully, my mother, the great improviser of cooking, whipped up an impeccable homemade pasta sauce from a can of tomato sauce, fresh basil and tomatoes from our backyard, garlic, onions, and black pepper. And velato! The crisis was averted and I was able to enjoy the hearty meal I desired.

1 comment:

Yasmine_B said...

Yeeees, this story makes me happy. Your day was brightened by good food and spontaneous improvisation. That's the way to live.