Friday, December 16, 2011

Wisdom Teeth

So one week ago I went in for the procedure I had been dreading for weeks. Getting my wisdom teeth removed. I have always been absolutely terrified of the dentist, even going in for cleanings would make me nervous. Everyone kept telling me I would be okay because I would be knocked out and wouldn't remember a single thing. After hearing it over and over, I began to believe them all, and I calmed down a bit.

Things changed the day I went in. Sitting in the waiting room, I was about to cry from being so nervous. Little did I know, I had a very good reason to be. My parents were not aware that it is better to get your teeth removed from an oral surgeon, and according to our dentist office, they had a dentist who was an expert at this procedure. So going back in the operating room, they give me this cup of medicine to drink. It tasted like bitter apple juice. They kept asking me if I was getting sleepy, I wasn't. They gave me a little more, and the doctor came in. She said, "Let's get her numbed up!". I remember saying, "Wait, I'm still awake!". They told me I would be out soon enough. Of course, I blacked out after that and was asleep for a little while. However, a little while later I remember waking up, and I was fully conscious. I was dazed and confused, but I was fully aware of what was going on. I heard them talking, I heard the drill, but worst of all I felt the pain. It was one of the worst pains in my life. Considering I was drugged, my body was exhaused and I couldn't push my way up to make them stop. I was helpless. I began crying, screaming, and kicking-anything I could do to let them know I felt what they were doing. Thinking the dentist would stop, she instead said, "You need to stop, your behavior is unacceptable." Uh, excuse me??!! This lady was crazy. One of the assistants told me to hold her hand and squeeze when I felt pain. She had to continuously keep switching hands because I was hurting her hand so bad. After what felt like hours, they told me they were done. The second I heard this, I blacked out again.

The next thing I remember was waking up at home hours later. My mom told me the entire way home, and all night, I kept crying and saying "Mom, why didn't they stop?". After I told her everything that I remember, I'm pretty sure she is more upset than I am. The next day she went to my dentist office and gave them a piece of her mind and demanded a refund.

That was a week ago, and today is the very first day that I am not in terrible pain. In fact, I haven't taken any medicine today and I feel fine. I still can't open my mouth open all the way, and I still have to be careful with what I eat, but besides that I am very close to getting better.

As for my dentist, I'm never going there again.

No comments: