Thursday, January 22, 2009

SNOW DAY!

Really? No, I wish Rocklin would have snow days but we are kind of missing an important key to that.
So Laura Cantu and I decided to have our own "snow day" on Saturday the 17th!!!
How?
By going to Soda Springs and taking lessons for first time ski/snow boarding! It was very exciting. I was VERY nervous! That mountain looked and was HUGE!
So as I take my skiing lessons, and Laura had her snow boarding lessons, my instructor said I was ready to go up the chair lift and head down my first ever run!
Getting a little too nervous, mostly about the chair lift, I attempted to relax myself with small talk as I waited to arrive at the top of the mountain.
Personally, I would have liked a seat belt, safety bar, maybe even a harness to keep me from falling, but I guess Soda Springs would like to think otherwise.
So I got off the lift just fine and headed over to the start of the mountain with my instructor. All I learned was "pizza" (the way to stop) and that I need to bend my legs. Nothing about going side to side or anything.
So the plan was the ski, stop, ski, stop, ski, and that was just it. I, after moving no more than ten feet, got WAY too much speed and couldn’t stop my momentum.
I didn’t know how to slow down, I was starting to go unfortunately too fast. My legs were starting to burn and about the half way mark down the mountain I got low enough that I was wrapping my arms around my boots trying to push my ankles out to slow down.
It still wasn’t working.
So I gave up on stopping and just moved my skis straight.
I was approaching the "SLOW" sign, I quickly sped by it. I was already on the flat land where people were waiting for others or getting inline for the chair lift.
Speaking of line for the chair lift, I was racing towards that too!!!
The bars were spaced just right but the road would hit me in somewhere around the neck or facial area…not good.
I wasn’t going to stop anytime soon, so I quickly decided to lay back dragging upper self.
My skis and knees were still controlled, going fast, and luckily for once, going straight.
I was looking up at I sped under both the chair lift lines, past back, and into the muck at the furthest part you could possibly walk!!!
Yes, my first run EVER down the mountain wend from the top to the very bottom, under the chair lift lines, and into the muck…all without falling!
I was terrified!
Not wanting to go up again with fear that I wouldn’t be able to stop, Laura convinced me, and I learned on my own how to stop!
It was amazing and not once, did I ever fall!

No comments: