Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Capitol Section Honor Band

It’s my last honor band of my high school career :( and it’s breaking my heart. These next few days are the only reason that I am still enrolled in band, so I’m going to make the best of them.
To attend one of these, you have to record an audition tape with the required scales and audition piece and send it in on December 1. If picked, your tape is ranked and then in January you have a live audition.
This year, Capitol Section Honor Band’s live audition took place on Monday.
Being that I now have my license and I have now attended this honor band for seven straight years, it was finally time to take the trip to Cosumnes River College alone. Following my dad’s instructions, "get on 80, go straight, and take Cosumnes River exit," I was ready to head out.
No problem, right? WRONG!
I leave around 3:30pm expecting to arrive around 4pm with an extra hour to spare preparing for the audition. Singing along with the radio, my nerves finally were calming down after my clarinet’s screw came lose 30 minuets prior to leaving causing a large part of the keys to come off!!! Yes, I cried. But luckily my dad fixed it. So I’m heading down the freeway, thinking about maybe getting food since I’ll be there early and won’t be home till 10:30pm. I’ve driven down this many times so my surroundings are failure to me but I just couldn’t remember exactly to what destination it was, that this road would end.
After a while of driving, I passed Davis, Dixon…farm land…VACAVILLE!!!
Yes, Vacaville! I drove all the way to Vacaville!!! My audition was starting soon and I was over an hour past Cosumnes River College! No one in my family was answering their phone till I realized that Monica, my older sister, was still at work so I knew she could answer her work phone. Luckily, her computer was still on and was able to give me directions back.
But honestly, Vacaville? Really? I couldn’t believe I forgot to take Capitol City FWY, and did just what my dad had said, gone straight.
So after panicking, calling my friends who are already there, and driving…well…safely, I actually made it on time-ish.
It was a great story to tell the three men who judged my audition. My feed back was great, "GPS system," was a lot of what I was hearing.
After getting 4th chair, 1st part, I was pretty excited that though my clarinet had broken and I got terribly lost, I did pretty well at my last honor band of high school :)

No comments: