Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Home Stretch/ Milk.

I know that lately it seems like all I can blog about is my expiring high school career, but that's simply because it is all I can think about.
To be honest, I'm thrilled about going back to school tomorrow. Not for school's sake, but my own. This is the last semester of pre-determined public school I will endure for the rest of my life.
As for my break, it was incredible. I always love staying up all night nearly every night, and I got to do just that. Also, Christmas is my absolute favorite part of the year.
But more than anything, I thought about next Christmas, where my break will be quite a bit longer and different than this years'.
Sorry all you high school lovers, I wasn't made for this.
I am the class of 09', and guess what: it is 2009.
I've talked to a few of my fellow Seniors, who like me enjoy chomping at the bit, and they agree that it came quickly. We've all spent so long talking about it, imagining it, and planning it... but now that it is close enough to smell, it seems unreal.
Unreal in the best possible sense, I mean.
Unreal as in a dreamlike state has decended over me as I begin the drift into my final months.
So RHS tomorrow- I have one thing to say. BRING IT ON.

Next subject. I saw Milk at the Tower Theatre in Sacramento on Friday night. I might write a story on this, so I won't say much. I was very glad I did not see this movie at Century, a hypocitical Cinemark theater. (The CEO donated a hunk of money to the Yes on 8 campaign, and Milk honors the legacy of Harvey Milk, our late hero when it comes to gay rights).
In other words, if I had, I would have demanded my money back.
However, as it was, I was driven to tears. It was much different than expected, but worth the drive and the money.
And I feel much more potent than ever about my beliefs and battle I am fighting for equal rights.
It fueled me.
And I love fuel.

1 comment:

Raoul Duke said...

I had tears streaming down my face from the first minute. As I said before, I would be furious if I had seen Milk at a Cinemark theater. I probably would have been thrown out for disturbing the peace.