Thursday, January 22, 2009

I finished The Catcher in the Rye

And it was interesting. Unlike a book I've read before I'll give it that. I suppose I don't give Holden enough credit because of his constant complaining and droning on and on about one subject. Then I think about it on a different level; we all complain, we all have those days where anything and everything bothers us. Gets on our last nerves and makes us just want to cry. I have those days, I just don't share them like Holden does. And I guess there's a reason I don't voice every opinion I have: it gets annoying. I'm more accepting of this book after I realized how closely he relates to every teen's innermost thoughts, but the thought that this could be made into a book? It's kind of crazy, the idea of me just sitting down and writing all about my pet peeves and experiences within three days, then making it into a book. Who knew? We can criticize Holden as much as we like, I know that I have, but it's because he is telling the bare truth and nothing but. No frills and decorations on the story like we are used to (and enjoy). It's so unnatural to our minds because we aren't used to someone telling us straight out what they hate. I'm not saying it's a great thing, but if you find yourself hating the book, think about why, and you may realize it's because it relates to what you feel so much.

No comments: