Friday, January 30, 2009

differences in semesters

Around this time last semester I was so motivated to do my school work and do good in every class. The moment second semester came, I just fell flat.
I dont want to say I have senioritis, but I think I may have senioritis... Everything that is assigned or expected of me I just shrug it off and act like it wont hurt my grade. Trust me it will, I just have yet to see the consequences. Monday, however is when the first second semester progress report comes out. Im not exactly stoked about that, but as far as my online grades go, it looks like I'll be fine. Maybe.
Although...Yesterday was the first time since the beginning of the new semester that I turned in an AP Stats assignment. And let me tell you, we get a lot of them. I think Ive figured it out though.
There is just something about this new year of 2009 that makes me want to relax, have fun, hang with my friends and do absolutely nothing. For a lot of last semester I felt like I was actually doing absolutely nothing. I got so used to that that now I AM doing nothing.
When I was a freshman at my previous high school, a teacher, Mr. Holmes, gave me a few wise words of the trade. He told me that if you try really, really hard the beginning of any semester, you can coast through the rest of the year. You will have too many points to your A-grade that a missing 20 point assignment wont do anything to hurt you. I have to agree, however he forgot just one little bit... Dont forget to try again for second semester.
I got into the mind-frame that coasting was all I needed to do, but really I needed to set myself back up for a new beginning. I dont know why I felt like I could just stop working, but it really, honestly sucks. Im digging myself deeper and deeper into a hole and I need to get myself out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Mr. Holmes meant the first 4.5 months of the first semester.