Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Senior Discussion

In Mr. James' AP English class, we often explore broad-minded topics that would be considered advanced, to say the least, for any high school class.
I love this about it- he always genuinely listens to us all, letting our minds run free. We've already tackled several mind-boggling topics, including philosophy and other schools of thought.
The other day, however, he asked us what it felt like to be Seniors here. Or something of the sort.
To my genuine surprise, my fellow classmates, who I formerly saw as complacent and agreeable, starting voicing my mind. They confessed their deepest angers toward the administration... why we aren't an active Senior class, what they thought really went wrong the past few years we've been here.
I was astonished.
They said that we've had our rights stripped away, we didn't want to be told what to wear, do or eat. It made us, the budding adults, angry. They stated possible reasons for the "trash" problem. That it wasn't our fault for not teaching them, but the administration's fault for turning us away from the school with their rules and regulations.
Within Journalism these four years, I've written several articles highlighting the issues I heard commonly brought up. To be honest, I didn't know I had an audience.
I thought most RHS students were the brainwashed type, whose rights are toyed with by all sorts of authority.
I was proven wrong, and I'd like to thank all the thinking members of my Senior class.
I finally have pride for my class.

No comments: