Tuesday, September 11, 2012

This Can be Illegal

So I recently realized that my usual method of accessing the Flash blog occasionally fails on the school computers. So I did the next best thing: I googled the word "Blogger". As you can tell, that worked out. However, I did learn something interesting on the way. Apparently, if I type the wrong words into this box, I will be guilty of a 1st-degree felony. When Google returned to me the fruits of my inquiry, I did not notice at first the link that eventually brought me here. This is the headline that caught my eye: "Blogger who supported cop-killing is charged" This linked to a news article that explained that some Philadelphian had the bright idea to publicly support the murder of a police officer, and worse, call for the deaths of more. No, that is not protected by the First Amendment. Instead, it has resulted in charges the first degree felony of "solicitations to commit murder", as well as misdemeanor charges of terrorism and harassment. Be warned, fellow bloggers.

No comments: