Monday, September 3, 2012

Can Music Really Be That Powerful?

Early on, everyone kept saying that music is what gave them power to move on from certain things, to do certain things. It gave them power and meaning. I never saw the meaning it; I've always believed that it's the person's choice that can motivate them to do certain things. It's been my belief that humans can control their own emotions and can motivate themselves. Only recently, I have been able to see the reason for the belief that music can motivate certain emotions. For instance. when I listen to slow songs, I feel like I am sad and I don't want to do anything, when I listen to upbeat songs that have meaning in the lyrics, I feel like I am motivated to do something. Maybe it is because of the lyrics meaning that relates to our emotions to cause this reaction? Maybe because we can connect to it and feed off it, thus reacting to it through our emotions? Who knows. All I know is that I have been listening to one song on repeat for more than an hour for a reason that I still can't grasp. Maybe the lyrics are addicting? Maybe the beat of it is just pulling me in? Who knows. But I now believe that music CAN control emotions, if not for a little time, or maybe for just a bit of emotion we possess.

No comments: