Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Great Gatsby

At first impression, this book seemed quite daunting to me. Just another book that we had to read for Pereira. I first read the 60 pages two months ago and was literally unimpressed. To me, it was just a narcissitic account of the lives during the 1920's. At the time, I just stopped reading it completely. Last Friday night, I saw the trailer for the new movie and flipped out! Now, I'm not saying Leonardo DiCaprio as Gatsby in the 2012 new movie compelled me to read this book but it played a pretty large factor. Last Saturday night, I started reading it again from the beginning and what a change. I was an ignorant reader the first go-around. The second time, it was like enlightening. It's a book of so much corruption that it hurts to read about these vicitims. Gatsby isn't in love with Daisy. He is forever corrupted by the pointless infatuation with this chick who honestly doesn't give a rat's a$$ about him at all. Gatsby, an innocent soldier of war, was just a victim in the hands of Daisy. GAHHH Reading through it made me want to punch her! Why couldn't she see past her pomp and glamour to see who Gatsby was before the money?? Maybe they wouldn't be... I won't give it away to those who haven't read it. Now I understand why this book is such a classic. I'm sorry Fitzgerald forever actually doubting you.

1 comment:

Rverma said...

I too was fairly surprised by Gatsby. It's a pretty good book. Jay Gatsby reminds me of myself sometimes.