Friday, October 1, 2010

How To Be "The New Kid": Don't Be Awkward.

Why was I not given a brochure or guide or anything on how to get along outside of my tiny hometown when it was decided that I would be leaving it? Seriously, how am I supposed to know how to act? "Just be yourself," yeah right, people are not just themselves when they are completely out of their element. I'm not an awkward person, and I love meeting new people; my problem is that I'm shy. People who give me advice say that I need to be outgoing, talk to everyone, basically make others get to know me, but when I do that I feel as though I am contradicting my own personality. Which is awkward. Which makes me seem awkward. So I'm sorry to anyone that I've awkwardly tried to approach and converse with, it's just my pathetic attempt to make friends.
However, I am not an awkward, pathetic person. Though I am having a difficult time connecting with people here, friends from my previous school keep me believing that it is not impossible by reminding me of how important I was and still am to them.

1 comment:

Brit said...

:( its all going to get better! and dont worry about seeming awkward. i think most everyone is awkward at some point ( i know i come off as being awkward), and people understand how hard it must be to be a new student. so they'll definitely cut you some slack, haha.