Thursday, October 14, 2010

Food?

I rarely ever eat fast food. The thought of how many calories and whatnot are in their sugar-filled concoctions disgusts me. The worst fast food place in my opinion is McDonald's. Everything there including the fries is frozen at some point. Especially after reading about the food processing in Fast Food Nation freshman year, I'd prefer to stay away from it. I do occasionally drop by In'N'Out because I'm a sucker for their grilled cheese (a burger without the burger, I would never buy meat there) and Animal Fries (topped with onions and cheese). I don't mind In'N'Out because everything there is fresh; you can see them cutting and frying the potatoes behind the counter. This past June was the first time I had ever been to Taco Bell. I tried a quesadilla from there and it wasn't that bad.

I think the reason I stay away from it is because my family religiously avoids non-Kosher products. Also, in our family, fast food or eating out is something that we might indulge in a couple times a year. When I ask others how often they eat fast food, some say just occasionally while others eat it a few times a week. That's strange to me because it just seems weird to go somewhere to eat when there's food in the house. I understand the convenience of fast food, but I think our society would be more culinary-cultured if they made more effort to cook and eat at home. Our country would be alot healthier if they refrained from eating quickly-prepared, only partially real food. I love sweets and sugar as much as the next person, but I think they should be enjoyed in moderation, and putting effort into making your own food makes you appreciate it more.

No comments: