Sunday, October 24, 2010

Is Halloween just for little kids?

So today I was just thinking about Halloween. I have and 8 year old brother and he still dresses up for Halloween and goes trick-or-treating with all his friends. So my question is what is the age limit for kids to dress up and go around collecting candy from houses. Even though I am 15 and in High School I still have the desire to go trick-or-treating. Last year I stayed home passed out candy and watched scary movies with my friends. Every time a little kid came to the door saying"trick-or-treat!!" I secretly was wishing that I was still a little kid so I could be running around from house to house collecting all that delicious candy.

I have been debating whether I should dress up this year and take my brother trick-or-treating. I don't know if people will wonder why in the world I'm dressed up and taking their candy that is meant for the little kids. But then again sometimes I see parents dressed up taking their kids around the neighborhood, but they usually aren't taking the candy, which I have to admit is the best part.

When I discuss this with my mom, asking her if she thinks it would be weird if I went trick-or-treating, she just says, "I can just buy you candy." But it is completely different when you buy candy from when you actually "earn it." I feel guilty when I eat candy that I bought from the store, I just feel like I don't have a reason to be stuffing my face with candy. But its completely different when its Halloween candy it just is sooooo much more better. For some reason its so much more fun when you dress up and go around getting candy from peoples houses, I can't explain it but the process of it is just fun.

From my memories when I was a little kid going around the neighborhood with my friends, when I saw older kids trick-or-treating I always found it really weird. Now that I am older and I still want to go trick or treating I totally admire those older kids for dressing up and not caring what other people were thinking and just having fun!

I think the main reason I want to go trick-or-treating is because I see my brother doing all his fun little kid things and I envy it, I want to be 8 years old again with no care in the world, not having to worry about anything: college, grades, homework, the SAT, and so many other things. So I feel like it is my duty to make sure that he enjoys being 8 and not having to worry about anything.

And you know what, I think I am going to go trick-or-treating and just for that one night, I am going to be 8 again and not have a care in the world!!!:)

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I really wanted to go trick or treating this year but my mom won't let me because she thinks I'm "too old". I know that some people feel like when teenagers go trick or treating that its just to take peoples candy but I just want to do it for fun. Thats why I think Im going to go trick or treating for UNICEF so I still get the fun of dressing up while also helping out a good cause.

Cliff said...

many people also believe that when teenagers go trick or treating that they're up to no good, thats why I'm not going trick or treating this year.