Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Snakes Don't Belong in the Air

This weekend was supposed to be my most relaxing weekend since school started. I already had done most of my homework, chores were all done, so the weekend was mine to do with as I pleased. On Saturday, I thought I would go for a nice relaxing bike ride out to Lincoln. On my way, I slashed my tires on some glass. When I stopped to see what was wrong, I heard a horrible noise. It was like a death screech. I looked up, and there was a hawk, about 15 feet above my head. I was all alone on some remote road, with no way of communicating and slashed tires, when the hawk started into a nose dive heading straight for me!!! I thought it was going to be something horrible out of Hitchcock's The Birds, but instead, it went into the bush next to me. I thought the ordeal was over, but no. It picked up a snake from the bush!! And it was hovering over me with this wriggling snake in its talons! Apparently in the Mexican Tradition, this is a symbol of good-fortune, and it is portrayed on the Mexican flag. On the other hand, I was thinking less, "how fortunate!" and more "AAH!!!" so much for a lazy and uneventful weekend..

4 comments:

Keely said...

Gosh Brit... Way to go and leave us hanging there. Did it fall on you? Were you attacked?

Chelsea Y said...

Omg, last week we had a baby rattle snake in our house...and we freaked out....my mom ended up putting it in a container lol

Erika said...

Brit, I admire you. You never fail to have a ridiculous story to tell.

Hannah Vahldick said...

That's... amazing lol