Wednesday, September 29, 2010

On Interviews and Composure

They say that interviewing is always more difficult for the interviewee, not the acutal person asking the questions.

"They" have probably never had to interview someone.

Since freshman year, interviewing has always been an intimidating process for me. Just getting the pass to go is hard enough. For me, a dread in my stomach starts to form, and thoughts of escape fill my mind. But as a journalist, it's my duty to go talk to complete strangers and ask them questions about themselves.

If I weren't a journalist, things would be different. I love to do speeches, but it's different when you are asking questions of a stranger. It feels like I am imposing on them (which I usually am) and interrupting their activities.

Keeping calm when you are asking questions is also a problem for me. Half of the time, I want to run in the opposite direction screaming, dropping the video camera, and just leaving school. Although this might be just a side affect of having to be at school before 10:00 AM. My mother has always told me, "Amanda, no matter what, you must keep your composure and stay calm". Sometimes that gets difficult.

The poor stranger I'm interviewing is probably nervous too...maybe. If they were not, I would be a little insulted. If I have to suffer, they have to also!

Interviews are a part of life for me now, and have been since Pubs I. Hopefully, all goes well next time...

No comments: