Sunday, October 24, 2010

R.I.P. Fran Crippen. My Next 50 Free is For You

"Swim every race like it is your last."

That's what one of my best friends told me when we had meets together-school swimming and summer league swimming. I'm on a new swim team outside of school and my friend is now away at college, but I still remember those words and try to abide by them, especially now, my senior year and last year of school swimming.

And I try to translate that philosophy to other parts of my life..because I admire people who try their best to be THEIR best and make the most out of a given opportunity.

That's why I was touched to hear why an American swimmer, Crippen, recently passed away in an open-water race in Dubai a mere 400 meters before the finish line.

(400 meters is slightly more than 16 laps in our school pool, which may sound like a lot, but is less than my warm-up. So that is nothing for champions).

My family is definitely into swim, so we are sad to hear about Crippen's death. My sisters and I are all giving it our all our next meet in his honor.

As my eleven year-old sister pointed out "At least he died while doing something he loved."

No comments: