Sunday, October 3, 2010

Babysitting

This weekend I babysat for my neighbors children across the street, and it really got me thinking. How do parents know who to trust with their children? I have always loved kids and I consider my self a great, trustworthy babysitter. Yet every time I babysit I wonder why parents are so eager just to dump their kids off to any old teenager that's willing. There are so many parents I have met for the first time and right away they always go "do you babysit?" and its the same answer ever time "yes", but in the back of my head I wonder "What? You just met me why in the world would you want me to babysit your kids?"

Mostly I babysit my neighbors kids and they have known me since I was little so its obvious that I am the go to girl when the parents have something to do. But when I think about if I had a child I would not just be letting anyone take care of him/her even if I trusted that person.

So here's the big question, do parents have an instinct that lets them know who is trustworthy and responsible enough to take care of their children? Or are they so desperate for someone to watch their kids while they do other things, that they just leave them with anyone? I don't know if I will ever get the answer to that question, but if I do I will be sure to let you guys know!:)

1 comment:

Emily said...

If the parents know exactly who their kid is around then I think it is fine. I would be more worried about the babysitter stealing.