Sunday, February 5, 2012

The sweet old ladies you meet at Jo-anns

I went to Jo-ann's today with my mother and my grandmother. We were on a hunt for a fabric that would be used to make a traditional Indian suit. It took us a while to get through all the bolts of fabric that lined the wall but once we found the pattern we needed, I went to the cutting table to get two and a half yards of it.
As many of you may know, Jo-anns has made getting your fabric cut an orderly experience by dispensing numbered tickets to people standing in line. The ticket system is considerably fair, usually easy to comprehend, and efficiently reduces conflict that may arise when people cut in line.
Anyways, there was only one employee at the cutting table helping customer number 33 and no one in line behind them. Despite this, I went to get myself ticket number 34 and stood an appropriate distance away from the counter to create a new line. I had only been standing there for a minute or so when this sweet looking old lady came up to the counter and plucked out ticket number 35.
Noticing that a line was beginning to form a second employee came to the cutting counter. The old lady moved towards the counter and started measuring some lace she had in her hand. I decided to not get upset at her sort of cutting in front of me because I thought she either knew that she wasn't next but wanted to measure some lace or because she may not have noticed that her number was not next.
The employee that had come over and glanced at the t.v., which displayed the number 33, and asked the old lady what number she had. The old lady seemed to shift gears from sweet to cranky quite rapidly as she began to talk loudly.
"I have number 35. Isn't there a line here? Well I'm number 35," said the old lady, who was becoming less and less sweet with every word she spoke.
The employee said that number 34 hasn't been called up yet.
The lady looked back around her and replied, "I don't see number 34 anywhere. I'm number 35 so I should go next. Don't you call numbers in order? You should change the number on the screen because I'm next."
I gave the employee a bit of an incredulous look and held up my number 34 ticket. She gestured for me to move forward and cut the exact measurement of cloth I needed. The whole time I was standing at the counter I could feel the old lady's eyes boring into the back of my head.
I got a receipt for the cloth I had cut and turned around to find my mom. The minute I turned around I saw an unflattering grimace on the once sweet old lady's face. Her irritated eyes reflected her unnecessary impatience.
I felt like making a really snarky comment on the old lady's impatient behavior but I lacked the imagination to come up with one so very last minute. Instead, I gave her the nicest smile I could manage and came out of the situation the better person for showing patience.

2 comments:

Yasmine_B said...

Kainaat I think you should write a book--"The Jo-Ann Chronicles"--to document any future experiences with pleasant old ladies. But seriously, this is so beautifully descriptive and really a pleasure to read :)

RHS Flash said...

This is amazing... you really write well when you find your stride and you have such wonderful insights... Love it.