Friday, February 17, 2012

Put to the Test

Today I took what I have learned, and put it to the test.
Literally, I had my Geometry and APWorld test today.
However, what was really tested was my character and my patience.

After my Geometry test, I then had my last dance class before my Dance 1 show and I have improved a lot and I can almost do the splits as well. Then I went to health, where ironically I watch a video about stress, and how bad it is for you and can burn brain cells, cause you to gain weight, and make your immune system weaker. This reminded me, to have fun, and not be stressed out.

APWorld, my following class, had other plans. During plus and lunch I study with some friends in the class, and then the last block bell rings and the test is on. My allergies had been killing me all day, I had sneezed literally close to 50 times(and not little sneezes either, the big ones where snot may or may not come out, aka, the gross kind), my eyes watery, and the worst case of the sniffles known to man. Yup, I just sneezed typing this, and yes I have had allergy medicine, yup, just sneezed again.

I just hardly get through the 70 question test when I start my DBQ essay, for those of you who don't know, it is a document based question where you base your essay off of 10-12 doucments provided for you. Then you say at the end of your essay what document would have helped you answer the question that wasn't provided.

Through all my allergy attacks, frustration, and stress building up by the end of the essay I actually forgot that I had to say what document should have been added to strengthen the essay. So now that I messed that up, I have no time to wallow, because I'm on my way home to get ready for my Mock Trial competition.

I wasn't expecting my ride till about 4 oclock or 4:15 so I took my time, ate, tried to relax...but it wasn't possible. My brother from Seattle just arrived at my doorstep, my teammates and father were calling me, and lets just say my stress wasn't easing up.

So I go to my room, and my boyfriend Patrick and I take turns taking deep breaths trying to calm me down before my first Mock Trial competition. Then I recieve a call from an unknown caller at about 3:38 saying that my ride was on its way. I didn't have my professional dress on yet, and was in no way prepared to leave.

So I rush to get ready, very upset my ride came so much earlier than expected, and then I'm on the road, on my way to the Sacramento Courthouse to perform a trial as a prosecution attourney (sneeze) for which I have (sneeze) been practicing for for about four months now.

It is unprofessional to not wear tights under your skirt in a court room, and of course I couldn't find mine. Thankfully Julie had some I could wear, and when I try to put them on they rip, ruining Julies new tights.

So I go bare legged, and after that, things lighten up. I was dehydrated and my teammate Ben bought me a water and then the trial got started. Things went well and I had to adapt to El Camino's way of running the trial. It was very different than how we practiced, but by end of the trial. I had done something right, even though I had felt not very good about how I did since it was so different then how I practiced it at times.

However, something new in Mock Trial occured at the end of the trial, where each team votes on their opposing teams MVP who they thought did the best. Our team voted and we annouced it and the team member on their side was very happy and she deserved it. In my opinion, I thought for sure Rahul, my Prosecution Attourney partner was going to get it because he did so fantastically, but they called Alina Holtsman.

I was so shocked, I am new at this, I have never been an MVP, and my eyes widened when the applause kicked in.
It is a sublime feeling to be recognized for all your hard work, something I haven't felt in a while.
And on top of everything my friend Megan McCormick has a dad who is a judge and he watched me and congratulated me and it felt great.
Mock Trial boosted my confidence so much, public speaking?
piece. of. cake.


Months ago, I would never thought I could pull all of this out in one day.



I did it.
I have grown so much, learned so much more, and I have made so many accomplishments.
All it takes is patience, understanding, and persistence.
And NEVER give up :)

2 comments:

/ said...

Sorry we came so early Alina! I called Smeeny from Marc's phone and she told me she was on her way. So yeah, I can definitely see how much stress that can add. And don't worry about my tights, I've ripped like three of them. But I can honestly say that you've progressed so much from try-outs! And I'm so proud of the work and effort you've put into everything. You definitely deserve the award.

RHS Flash said...

Wonderfully written... and I think teachers should read posts like this. Some forget HS really can be stressful.