Friday, July 12, 2013

Books...

I had two friends go to France over the summer, and they brought me back AMAZING gifts! So thanks, guys!

I am adding to my collection of things that I bought in Britain this summer... which was a lot. Oops.

I honestly don't think I have much more wall space. I think my mom's in the same position though because we bought twelve frames today for all the pictures she bought over there... in case you want frames, Aaron Brothers is doing a sale, where if you buy one, you get one for a penny!

My room is just a compilation of my interests: travel and books. I brought back 31 old books. Yep. That's right. 31. I went to Hay-on-Wye, which is a town of bookstores in Wales (I highly recommend it: you should go there one day!) My suitcase was over the limit, so I may, or may not, have put books in my parents' and brother's suitcase as well.... They love me :)

Hay-on-Wye was an AMAZING place. There are alleyways, open to the elements, just full of bookshelves, and bookshelves against the walls surrounding Hay Castle. There are over 40 bookstores I think, and one of them is JUST murder mystery, so of course I bought an old Agatha Christie book!

I bought a gypsy dictionary, because that's always useful. (There are lots of gypsies in Europe)

For those in AP Lit, I bought an old book that has Oedipus and Antigone in it!

And I also have a really old book in Arabic, I think, so it reads back to front. SO COOL! It's my mom's old book, because her dad used to work in Jordan (not that either of them spoke Arabic)

I got books by Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen (I also went to go see the house she grew up in, and the desk she wrote on!!), and Charles Dickens.

I even bought a book entirely in Welsh! Welsh is a really interesting language because of the alphabet.



That's the Welsh alphabet. It has no Z. And what I do know is that the dd sounds like the English th. so I have no idea what the Welsh th sounds like.

And that was my Hay-on-Wye experience :)

No comments: