Thursday, August 26, 2010

Truth...?

Today in AP english, we had a very profound discussion about truth. Is there really such thing as truth in the world? Does it even matter? Many said that truth is a form of bonding, a way to bring people together through trust and honesty. Others believed that it was based on opinions. Every story has a different truth, based on perspective, and facts, such as 'the sky is blue' are truth. But when it comes down to it, are facts even truth or are they just commonly agreed upon and accepted ideas?
I personally think that the actual meaning cannot be understood by the human mind. Thinking about it just hurts my brain...but what I have come up with is the opinion that truth is just a word to be applied to things that one believes are real. There is no such thing as universal truth, as each person has their own opinion and, therefore their own truth. This being said, truth seems unimportant. If each person has their own perspective, no one will have the same truth, so this makes me question how valuable the truth is. However, I believe that honesty is necessary. I think that honesty is different than truth, because it involves not lying or embellishing your opinion. It means that you must tell exactly what happened or what you believe; being straightforward and conveying your perspective to someone else.
This is such a confusing topic...but I hope it gives you something to think about! :)

7 comments:

Emily said...

I agree with what you said that truth is in the eyes of the beholder. I think in the seperated world we live in things are just more complicated than they need to be though.

“The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it.” Ayn Rand

Emily said...

I agree with what you said that truth is in the eyes of the beholder. I think in the seperated world we live in things are just more complicated than they need to be though.

“The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it.” Ayn Rand

Erika said...

I am so confused now... But that really is an interesting topic. I don't really know what my opinion is yet, it'll take a fair amount of considering it to decide.

RHS Flash said...

Knowing the truth for ourselves matters, but realizing it may not be someone else's truth elevates us above other living creatures.

Alisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alisha said...

This is deep. Definite thought provoker. Everyone has their own opinion of the truth depending on what they believe. Yet then there are proven "facts", which debatably could still be a matter of opinion...thanks for the food for thought :)

Michelle said...

I think you are right. There is no such thing as universal truth. There are so many different angles and opinions on one single topic at any given time that there is no certain truth to it. Crazy topic!!!