Friday, August 13, 2010

A Rose By Any Other Name... Might Give You Different Friends?

A little food for thought: according to the book that I have been reading for AP Psychology, The Happiness Hypothesis by Jonathan Haidt (I know how excited you must be to go out and buy it, so I included the author's name for you all), we are influenced quite heavily by our names! Apparently, people are more likely to select jobs, places to live, friends, and even romantic interests based upon name similarities, or even a common initial! It really brings into question how much free will our minds allow us, and how much our actions are just based upon a series of instincts. I, for one, thought it was ironic, as my best friend in preschool was named Brent. Well, how influenced are you by your name? I don't plan on moving to Great Britain and becoming a brick-layer at this point, but who knows? How many of your friends (or even your boyfriends/girlfriends) did your subconscious initially lead you to because your names were similar?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats a scary thought D:

although i know i didnt care about leaman's name...i never had heard that name until i met him ;D